Monday, January 21, 2013

The Cost of HandMade

I've had a few people wonder why my prices are so high.
Then there have been people who think I charge too little.

I agree with both.  But when it comes to doing what I love and being able to sell these things I feel like my prices are good.  If I wanted to pay bills with it, I'd have to up my prices quite a bit.  You see, I don't make a lot off each item.  Let's break down cost to let you see where your money goes when you buy something from me.


Say you buy this pair of earrings that cost $14.37
 this is where the majority of that money goes.  Almost 75% of the money from the price goes into materials and other costs.


Earrings      $14.37
Materials:   -$ 7.45
    Silver plated snowflake charms $4.99
    6mm Swarovski Crystals  $.76
    Sterling Silver Ear wires $1.60
    eyes pins  $.10
Shipping Materials:  -$ 3.27
    earring card $.11
    earring backs $.05
    gift box  $.71
    gift bag  $.23
    bubble mailer  $.48
    shipping label  $.05
    USPS shipping cost $1.64

Total leftover for me: $3.65

I use mid range materials for most of my items to help keep cost low.  I use Swarovski crystals a lot, they aren't cheap but they definitely aren't as pricey as natural gemstones can be.  I alternate between sterling silver and silver plated metals.  Occasionally I will use other plated metals to give different looks.  I will not use cheap materials and charge the same price just so that I can make more.  I want to send you beautiful handmade items that will last.


My crochet items breakdown pretty much the same.  Just like with the jewelry I do not use low quality items.  I've tried out many different yarns and if something isn't working or doesn't hold together well I won't use it.  I won't use itchy yarn for toys, I'm not going to make a babys hat with cheap thin yarn.  I do my best to provide a quality item at an affordable price.


No comments:

Post a Comment