Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Kids and Germs

Well, it's Tuesday, but feels like Monday because there was no school yesterday.

I had to send my little guy back to school today and he looked so sad to go.  I felt bad, I kinda wanted to turn the car around and head back home.  But no, he needs to go to school.  His education is important, besides, I'm sure he missed his friends.

Well, I guess now you're wondering what happened that would cause such a sad return to school.  Well, germs happened.   Not the flu, not norovirus, but strep...

As a kid, I would get strep and ear infections every year.  I felt like I was always on antibiotics, it wasn't fun at all.  But I can handle it.  I can handle fevers, coughs, sneezing, and runny noses.  No problem at all, I am a mom after all.  But there is one thing I can not do and as soon as it happens I run (literally) and cover myself.  No joke, I literally duck and cover.

Vomiting.

I am terrified of it.  Oh, no... beyond terrified,  it's an actual phobia.  It sucks :-(  Not just me doing it, but anyone.  Even if it's on the television, it bothers me.

So why am I mentioning this terrible 'v' word when my son had strep?  Well, because apparently having strep can cause you to vomit.  I had NO idea, seriously.  So when the nurse called and said, ' he threw up in class' I panicked!  I didn't even think that maybe he could have strep throat.  Nope, not even a little bit.  My first thought was, "Someone save me!" Because the last time I got a call like that, my poor kid spent 6 hours with his head in a trash can.   I won't even describe my panic as I packed my two younger kids into the car and headed out, or how ridiculous I probably acted in the office at the school as I signed my kid out.  I was a mess and my kid, he seemed fine.

But after 4 days of randomly getting sick, I sent him to the doctor where they discovered he has strep.  They gave him some stickers, a prescription and sent him home.  He's doing a lot better now, besides being sad about returning to school.  I'm not big on medications but I am so thankful for this antibiotic because my kid is now able to eat and doesn't need to carry around a trashcan.

So here is a little reminder from the emetophobe:  Wash, wash, wash your hands!  Scrub them with soap for 20 seconds (sing a song if you need to) then rinse them off in warm water.   Don't touch your face, don't pick your nose, don't stick your hands in your mouth.  There are so many germs out there right now, circulating around, and we (as in Everyone!) just want to feel healthy as we head into spring.    Also, adding a little extra Vitamins D & C into your day couldn't hurt either ;-)

Have a Happy Tuesday-that-feels-like-Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment